Regional planning and forecasting
The Waikato region is a dynamic region with increasing and changing demands on its natural and physical resources. Some of the key growth and development pressures are:
- rapidly increasing population in parts of the region
- urban areas and rural residential development
- increasing demand (including from the Auckland region) for services such as landfills, water supply, prisons and quarries
- land use change such as conversions of forests to dairy farms
- increasing freight and passenger transport on roads
- increasing demand for the region’s energy resources and infrastructure
- increasing coastal development.
It's Waikato Regional Council's job to help manage these issues, and also to plan for our region's future growth and development.