Your catchment - West Coast zone
Waikato Regional Council is investigating infestations of velvetleaf in our region.
There are no events planned in your area at the moment.
Hill Country erosion project
The catchment committee played an instrumental role in securing funding for the erosion control programme. This programme centres around soil conservation and sustainable land management within the western hill country of Waikato, in particular the Awakino, Mangaotaki and lower Mokau catchments. Soil conservation works, such as riparian fencing and planting, pole planting and bush retirement, can attract grants of up to 70 per cent and 100 per cent for farm plans. READ MORE >>
There are challenges facing communities within the Kawhia and Aotea catchments. The population is shrinking and people are concerned about the long-term viability of these communities. At the same time there is pressure to subdivide and develop housing in sensitive areas such as along the coast, and such development could put important natural features of the environment at risk. The purpose of the Shore Futures Project is to provide an overall framework within which all of these issues will be addressed. Details of how to implement this framework will be determined through forthcoming council plans. READ MORE>>
Read more about our other projects in the West Coast zone in our newsletters:
- West Coast news - October 2019 [PDF, 671 KB]
- West Coast news - September 2018 [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- West Coast news - October 2017 [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- West Coast news - December 2016 [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- West Coast news - April 2016
West Coast Zone Management Plan
Zone management plans (ZMPs) are the primary tools for implementation of all river and catchment management activities within each zone. Each ZMP includes the following details:
- vision for the zone
- strategy to achieve the vision
- activities to implement the strategy
- set of services levels and performance standards for the activities
- financial strategies and funding arrangments.
- Jolene Francis - Zone Manager
- Adrian Jepson - Catchment Management Officer
- Callum Bourke - Catchment Management Officer
- Lyndon Stokes - River Management Officer
Call us on 0800 800 401