Skip to main content


Photo of moored boats in harbour

All swing and pole moorings within the Waikato coastal marine area and inland waterways are classified as structures and require resource consent from Waikato Regional Council.

Factsheet - Moorings [PDF, 943 KB]


On this page: 

Moorings for sale or rent | The Mooring LineMooring consents Mooring consent costs - 2018-19 financial year Mooring Triennial Inspections Key responsibilities of a mooring consent holderMediterannean fanworm (Sabella spallanzanii)


Click here to ask us to list your mooringMoorings for sale or rent

Waikato Regional Council provides a listing service for consented moorings located in the Waikato Region.
Click here if you'd like to browse the listings, or ask us to list your mooring.

Other options

  • Look in the local newspaper.
  • Visit the TradeMe website.
  • Look in the marine section of the NZ Herald, or Trade and Exchange.
  • Place an ad in one of these options.

The Mooring Line

Read the latest mooring news in our newsletter.

The Mooring Line Newsletter - July 2019 [PDF, 1.4 MB]

Mooring consents

Applying for a mooring consent

Any new mooring in the Waikato region will require resource consent. First you'll need to contact your local harbourmaster to discuss site availability. You'll then need to complete the appropriate resource consent application forms (depending on whether your mooring is in a zoned area or not) and send them to Waikato Regional Council for processing before installing a new mooring.

Waikato Regional Council must grant resource consent for mooring applications in a zoned mooring area (provided the relevant terms and conditions are met).  Consent may or may not be granted for an outside of zoned mooring area mooring application.

Consent application information and forms

Find out about the consent application process, the costs involved, and download the necessary application forms here.

Buying or selling an existing mooring (transfer)

All negotiations for the sale of moorings are between the mooring consent holder and the purchaser.

The mooring consent must be transferred into the new owner’s name. Both parties need to complete and sign the transfer form and it must be assessed by the local harbourmaster to ensure the mooring is suitable for the proposed vessel. 

Please note not all areas allow for transfers, check with the local harbourmaster first.

THERE IS A FEE TO TRANSFER YOUR CONSENT.  Check the amount on the transfer form, or you can contact us and ask how much it costs.

Click here for a transfer form.

Changes to mooring consents

You can apply to change the conditions of a mooring resource consent, for example if you intend to moor a larger vessel. You cannot change the resource consent duration.

You will need to complete a change of mooring consent application form and have this assessed by the local harbourmaster. Once this has been assessed by the harbourmaster the change to mooring consent application forms will need to be sent to Waikato Regional Council for processing.

Click here for a change to mooring consent form.

Surrendering a mooring consent

If you no longer require your mooring and its consent you should complete a surrender form and forward to Waikato Regional Council for processing. You must remove the mooring structure from the coastal marine area.

Click here for a surrender form.

Mooring consent costs - 2018-19 financial year

Please make sure you're aware of all the costs involved with applying for and holding a mooring consent.  We've given you some cost indications below, but you can find out more about consent costs, here.

Note: all prices below are GST inclusive.

Consent application/renewal fee (inside a zoned mooring area).


A new consent will be valid for approximately 15 years.

Consent application/renewal fee (outside a zoned mooring area)

$1000 initial deposit

You will be charged for all actual and reasonable costs associated with processing the application. Your deposit will offset these costs.

Annual charge & navigation safety fee $221.38
Change to consent $172.50
Transfer of ownership $103.50
Surrender of consent No charge
Triennial mooring inspection costs Remain between mooring consent holder and the mooring inspection contractor.

Waikato Regional Council visitor mooring rentals

Information for visitors to Whitianga [PDF, 116 KB]

Waikato Regional Council has a number of visitor moorings which can be used for short-term rental.
Contact your local harbourmaster for information and rental fees.

Mooring Triennial Inspections

  • Have the mooring structure inspected by an approved contractor once every three years.
  • A signed report from an approved contractor confirming the mooring is in compliance with the resource consent conditions must be provided to Waikato Regional Council.
  • Click here for a list of Mooring Services Providers servicing our region.
  • Pay the costs associated with repairs and maintenance of the mooring directly to the service provider not Waikato Regional Council (refer to full responsibilities in consent conditions).
  • The consent conditions must be complied with otherwise this may result in enforcement action.
  • Pay annual charges/navigation safety fee’s.
  • Ensure the mooring structure is kept in a sound and suitable condition at all times. Check the mooring regularly between inspections.

Key responsibilities of a mooring consent holder


  • Inform Waikato Regional Council of any change of address or change of vessel information.
  • Ensure your vessel is securely fixed to the mooring and not the buoy rope.
  • Tell the harbourmaster if your vessel is damaged while occupying the mooring.
  • Make sure the mooring buoy is clearly marked with the correct mooring number.
  • Contact the harbourmaster if there is a vessel on your mooring that does not have authority to be there.


  • Lend your mooring without approval from the harbourmaster.
  • Sell your mooring without going through the transfer of mooring consent process.
  • Relocate or move your mooring without completing a change of mooring consent application form and obtaining approval from Waikato Regional Council.
  • Remove any unauthorised vessel off your mooring without approval from the harbourmaster.
  • Discharge waste from your vessel.

Mediterannean fanworm (Sabella spallanzanii)

The marine pest fanworm (Sabella) has been discovered in the Waikato region. All boaties are required to take extra care to help reduce the spread. Learn more about Sabella and what you can do to help.

For more information contact your local harbourmaster or freephone Waikato Regional Council on 0800 800 401.