Page content Page content Section navigation Topic navigation Accessibility keys Sitemap Search Contact us portal
Go to Waikato Regional Council homepage
search icon mail icon contact us icon

  Services » Regional Services » Consents and compliance » Resource consents » Consent conditions » Your responsibilities

Your responsibilities

A resource consent allows (subject to conditions) an activity that would otherwise be illegal. You are able to use the environment within the limits of the consent , whether that is the water you take or the assimilative capacity of the water or air you discharge into. As a consent holder, you are now responsible for:

  • complying with all the consent conditions
  • paying all associated annual and monitoring charges
  • notifying Waikato Regional Council of any changes to the consent holder details
  • applying to change the consent to keep the conditions relevant should there be minor changes to your operation
  • applying for a new consent should there be major changes to your activity or the consent expires.

Your resource consent is an important legal document. Keep your consent certificate in a safe place so you can refer to it when necessary.

Following the rules

Your consent conditions are designed to help protect the Waikato region’s natural environment for other users, both now and in the future. If you do not follow the conditions of your consent you may:

Waikato Regional Council treats non-compliance seriously, so if you breach the conditions of your consent, we may take enforcement action against you. You may be issued with an abatement notice that orders you to cease your activity or an infringement notice carrying a fine of up to $1000. In some cases, if the breach of consent or resulting adverse effects are serious enough, we may prosecute. In this case, you may be liable to a fine of up to $300,000 ($600,000 for companies) or 2 years jail.

Non-compliance usually ends up costing time, money and inconvenience for everyone involved.

About this site     Contact us     Feedback and complaints New Zealand Government