Page content Page content Section navigation Topic navigation Accessibility keys Sitemap Search Contact us portal
Go to Waikato Regional Council homepage
search icon mail icon contact us icon

  Services » Regional Services » Consents and compliance » Resource consents » Before you apply » Permitted activities

Permitted activities

What are permitted activities?

You will not need a resource consent if your activity is expressly allowed under the Resource Management Act (RMA)(external link). For example, provided that there will be no adverse effects, the RMA allows you to take fresh water for your own reasonable domestic needs, drinking water for your animals and for fire fighting. However, in catchments that are currently over-allocated, even these activities may require consent.

Waikato Regional Council's Regional Plan and Regional Coastal Plan also have a range of ‘permitted activity’ rules. These rules allow specific activities to be undertaken as of right. They are subject to compliance with conditions, just as resource consents are. If these conditions cannot be met, then you will need a resource consent.

Permitted activity guides

Our permitted activity guides cover the most common permitted activities carried out by land owners in our region. You can use these guides to find out if an activity is allowed without consent, and read the relevant rule's key conditions. You can also find the permitted activity rule numbers so you can easily look them up in the Regional Plan.

More information on some permitted activities

>> Plantation forestry

>> Earthworks

>> Whitebait stands

Farm dairy wastewater discharges

Farm dairy effluent that is spread or irrigated onto pasture does not need a resource consent, as long as the effluent management system and discharge comply with the conditions of Permitted Activity Rule at all times.

We have a form that helps dairy farmers notify Waikato Regional Council that they are managing their wastewater in accordance with this rule.

Spraying activities

You can spray agrichemicals (insecticides, herbicides and fungicides) as long as you can comply with the conditions of the appropriate permitted activity rule. The rules are (hand held spot spraying) or (widespread application, such as via aerial spraying).

We have a guideline for spraying contractors that can help you meet some of the rule requirements, such as putting together spray plans.

About this site     Contact us     Feedback and complaints New Zealand Government