Following recent commentary on the idea of a proposed crematorium for Thames, Waikato Regional Council acknowledges the significant interest in the matter and is clarifying, for the record, where things are at from its perspective:
- To establish a crematorium, a resource consent will be required from the regional council to authorise the discharge of contaminants to air from a crematorium.
- The proposed developer Adrian Catran has been advised so is aware that a consent is required from the regional council.
- To date, we have not received a relevant resource consent application.
- The regional council would need to assess any such application on its own merits under the statutory provisions of the Resource Management Act.
- In that regard, the regional council will only be able to consider those matters over which it has jurisdiction that relate to whatever consent is sought.