A total of 25 candidates have put their names forward to contest Environment Waikato’s 12 seats at the local government elections in October.
Nominations closed at midday today and the following candidates have been elected unopposed:
- Matamata-Piako constituency – Frank Healey
- North Waikato-Hauraki constituency – Peter Buckley
- Taupo constituency – Laurie Burdett
- Waipa-King Country constituency – John Fisher
- Waipa-King Country constituency – Andra Neeley.
The remaining seats will be contested as follows:
The Central Waikato seat is to be contested by sitting members Jenni Vernon, who currently holds the seat, and Ian Balme, who vacates his Hamilton seat.
The four Hamilton seats will be contested by 10 candidates, including sitting members Lois Livingston, David Peart and Paula Southgate. The other candidates are Angus Macdonald, who vacates his North Waikato seat, and newcomers Anthony Armstrong, Crystal Beavis, Pat Gregory, Jane Hennebry, Nigel McCarter and Chris Norton.
The South Waikato-Rotorua seat is to be contested by Norman Barker, Martin Bennett, Michael Jones, Harry Lodge and Lawrence Ryder.
The Thames-Coromandel constituency will be contested by sitting member Arthur Hinds and new candidates Simon Friar and Berry Zondag.
Council’s constituency boundaries have changed for this year’s election following a membership review undertaken last year. At the 2004 election there were 10 constituencies with 14 members. This year there are eight constituencies with 12 members.
Maps showing the new boundaries are available on Environment Waikato’s website, www.ew.govt.nz.
Environment Waikato’s current councillors are:
- Central Waikato constituency – Jenni Vernon (chairman)
- Hamilton constituency – Ian Balme, Lois Livingston, David Peart, Paula Southgate.
- Hauraki constituency – Basil Morrison
- Matamata-Piako constituency – Steve Osborne
- North King Country constituency – Andra Neeley
- North Waikato constituency – Angus Macdonald
- South Waikato constituency – Jim Howland
- Taupo constituency – Laurie Burdett, Rex Hawkins
- Thames-Coromandel constituency – Arthur Hinds
- Waipa constituency – John Fisher.