Small Scale Community Initiatives Fund
The Small Scale Community Initiatives Fund (SSCIF) supports volunteer community groups and individual landowners undertaking ecological restoration through animal and plant pest control.
Applications open: 1 July 2019, 9:00 am
Applications close: 26 July 2019, 5:00 pm
How much is available?
$150,000 per year. The SSCIF is funded through the uniform annual general charge rate.
How much can you apply for?
Up to $5,000.
Information for applicants - please read first
Applications are assessed by a panel skilled in the area of pest control and ecological restoration, according to how well they meet the following criteria:
- Environmental enhancement – how the project will directly promote, enhance or protect the Waikato region’s environment, with specific reference to ecological and/or biodiversity outcomes.
- A well-developed project plan including measurable outcomes (e.g. a reduction in the rat population measured using tracking cards), a detailed budget and map of the project location/area.
- Viability (the likelihood of the project’s success) – are the goals clear and will methods proposed achieve the goals in a cost effective way?
- Community participation & awareness – does the project involve neighbouring land owners (scale) and/or the wider community and increase public awareness of biodiversity issues?
Who can apply?
Volunteer community based groups or individual landowners.
Any successful applicant can only receive funding from SSCIF once per financial year (1 July – 30 June). If you are already receiving other funding from Council in the current financial year then you will not be eligible to apply for the SSCIF.
What can be funded?
- Purchase of materials including traps, bait, bait stations or herbicide used in pest animal or pest plant control.
- Professional contracted services up to $1,000 (e.g. the services of a qualified herbicide applicator or controlled substance licence holder).
What cannot be funded?
- Reimbursement of landowner time or voluntary labour
- Projects located outside the Waikato region
- Debt repayment
- Projects receiving funding from other Waikato Regional Council programmes
- Projects which are core business of other agencies
- Travel, conference, legal or accounting expenses
- Plants, planting and landscaping projects
- Proposals designed to generate personal or commercial profit
- Purchase of capital items of equipment or infrastructure (e.g. GPS or vehicles)
- Any works/activities that are required as conditions of a resource consent
- Projects that require but have not been granted resource consent
- Retrospective cost
We can let you know when funding rounds are open!
>>> Enter your details in this online form, and we'll notify you.
Contact Andrew Thomas on 07 949 7165 or send us a message(external link).