Regional scale flood hazard information
Waikato Regional Council holds regional scale 1:50 000 flood hazard maps for the Waikato Region. These maps provide an overview of the flood hazards associated with many water bodies and may be useful for identifying potential flooding issues that require further discussion and investigation.
When using regional scale information, it is important to understand the associated limitations:
- The accuracy of the information makes it unsuitable for determining detailed flood hazard information for a specific site (e.g. extent of inundation or design flood levels).
- The information does not consistently represent a particular design flood event (e.g. an event with a 1 % AEP).
- The information does not cover all waterways in the Waikato Region, therefore the presence of a flood hazard zone does not guarantee the existence of such a hazard, nor does the lack of information preclude the existence of a hazard or risk.
- The information is not suitable for land-use planning processes, other than identifying potential flooding issues that may require further discussion and investigation.
- The information does not replace detailed flood hazard information.
Please go to the Waikato Regional Hazards Portal (the potal) if you would like to find out if your property is within or adjacent to a regional scale flood hazard area (as well as other information about natural hazards).
1:50 000 Regional Scale Flood Hazard maps
The 1:50 000 regional scale flood hazard maps available below show the regional scale information for some settlements in PDF format. It should be noted that there are more areas which are covered by regional scale flood hazards which are not included below. Also please note that some flood hazard areaas have been updated, but the maps below have not yet been updated - please refer to the portal (link above) for up to date information. Please contact Waikato Regional Council to find out more specific information relating to your property by calling 0800 800 401.