4.3.11 Environmental Results Anticipated
- Minimal adverse effects of sand and gravel extraction exceeding natural replenishment.
- Improved water quality and aquatic habitats as a result of more stable river and lake beds.
- A reduction in river and lake beds adversely affected by bank erosion and bed instability.
- Increased plantings of indigenous plant species on the beds and banks of rivers and lakes.
- Reduction in area and species of aquatic plant pests in the Region.
- Increasing lengths of water bodies fenced to prevent livestock access to the beds of rivers and lakes.
- Increased use of culverts, bridges and constructed crossings as an alternative to unrestricted livestock access to river and lake beds.